50 things Apple CEO Tim Cook told us today
Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke with Kara Swisher. It was a wide-ranging conversation that’s being picked up everywhere. You can listen to the interview here and read the complete transcript here, but if you’re in a hurry what follows is a quick review of what Cook told us:
On AR and Apple TV+
- Cook continues to believe in the promise of AR.
- Apple TV+ is not a hobby but a major investment in content provision.
- He thinks there was no better show than Ted Lasso during COVID, (He’s right. It was light in dark times).
On the Apple Car
- Cook has never spoken to Elon Musk and praises that Tesla has built and maintained leadership in the EV space for such a long time.
- Autonomy is a core technology – the car is a robot.
- Apple loves to integrate hardware, software and services and find the intersection points of those because we think that’s where the magic occurs.
On Policy and politics
- He went along with Tim Apple from Trump so he could maintain dialogue.
- Cook remains focused on policies, not politics.
- Voting rights
- Cook believes voting should be easier, not harder.
- Cook wants voting participation to hit 100%, not lower.
- He would dream of voting using phones.
- Apple wants to advance immigration.
- Apple wants to advance on working on climate change.
- Apple wants to advance job creation.
- Apple wants to advance lifetime learning.
- Apple supports administrations that share those aims.
On being LGBGT
- When Cook publicly came out he did so to support young people.
- He’s a chair of Encircle.
- He’s disappointed and surprised at an Arkansas law that lets doctors refuse to treat LGBGT patients.
- He thinks these kinds of moves to enable such prejudice should stop.
- Tim Cook says he probably won’t be at Apple in 10-year’s time.
On social media regulation
- Parler can return to the App Store, but it needs to put together a content moderation system in line with App Store terms and conditions first.
- When originally accepted to the store, Parler did offer moderation.
- Apple removed Parler from the store as soon as it became aware of that.
- Cook thinks more social networks are better than less.
- He also believes the section 230 which protects social media companies needs an update for the modern world.
- Cook is “appalled” at the resistance Facebook is putting up to giving users better privacy controls.
- Cook believes that curation is important to protect us from the dark effects of the web.
- If you have a platform, you amplify things.
- This is why Apple News has human editors and the App Store has human app approvals.
- He sees the attack on the Capitol as one of the darkest days in US history.
On privacy and the need to protect it
- Facebook’s arguments that privacy will harm small business is ‘flimsy’.
- He doesn’t see Facebook as a competitor.
- Privacy is in crisis.
- App Targeting Tracking helps put people back in control.
- ATT launches “in a few weeks”.
- He believes privacy must be regulated as self-regulation has failed.
- He believes privacy is essential for a free society.
- He continued to maintain privacy as a human right, not a “brand attribute”.
- People should own their own data and retain control over it.
- But there can be no back doors into devices because it’s not possible to protect them: “Once you have a back door you have a back door for everybody”.
On Epic and the App Store
- Epic chose to break the rules and now it’s moaning at predictable consequences.
- Cook does not believe side loading apps is good for consumers.
- The App Store history shows Apple continues to reduce the cost of doing business there.
- In any given week, 100,000 apps are presented to the App Store.
- In any given week, 40,000 are rejected.
- You can imagine if curation went away, what would occur to the App Store in a very short amount of time.
Much more from Tim Cook:
- Read Apple CEO Tim Cook’s stark warning on privacy
- 40+ insights Apple’s Tim Cook gave shareholders in 2021
- Tim Cook: Apple at 45 will continue to transform the world
- Tim Cook on how to build back better after COVID-19
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks China, motivation and Steve Jobs
- What Apple CEO Tim Cook told the UN Climate Change Summit
- Everything Apple CEO Tim Cook told Fox (rushed transcript)
- 20+ things Apple’s Tim Cook told us this week
- Here is the complete transcript of Apple CEO Tim Cook’s Stanford Address
- Apple’s Tim Cook: ‘People are not born with the same resources’
- 11 big Apple insights Tim Cook shared this week