Apple TV 4K gets slight update as content push looms
Apple managed to deliver a slight update to Apple TV 4K at its Spring Loaded event, and while we didn’t get a low cost model or 120Hz, we did receive a redesigned Siri Remote, fun color balance tools and high frame rate HDR.
Apple TV 4K update highlights
The key improvements here seem to be under the hood, and include:
- A new A12 Bionic chip, which boosts graphic, audio and video processing and performance.
- Supports for high frame rate HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Dolby Vision video, enabling fast-moving action at 60 frames per second (fps).
- An all-new Siri Remote
- Colour balance technology
Apple also said it is working with leading video providers around the world, including FOX Sports, NBCUniversal, Paramount+, Red Bull TV, and Canal+, as they begin to stream in high frame rate HDR. And with high frame rate support in AirPlay, videos shot on iPhone 12 Pro can be displayed in full 60-fps Dolby Vision on the new Apple TV 4K.
Siri Remote redux
The redesigned aluminium Siri Remote provides more outcomes, in part due to its five-way clickpad controller.
- The remote is also touch-enabled for directional swipe controlling.
- The outer ring of the clickpad also acts as a jog control to find a scene in a movie or show.
- The remote also has a power button that controls a TV’s power, and another for mute.
In related news, Siri now works on Apple TV in Austria, Ireland, and New Zealand, joining the 13 countries and regions that already support Siri.
What is the new color balance tech?
We’ll like the new color balance process.
Apple TV works with iPhone and its advanced sensors to improve a television’s picture quality.
Point your iPhone at your TV screen and Apple TV uses the light sensor in iPhone to compare the colour balance to the industry-standard specifications used by cinematographers worldwide. Using this data, Apple TV then automatically tailors its video output to deliver much more accurate colours and improved contrast.
Also read: When was Apple TV invented?
What Apple said
“Apple TV 4K is in a category of its own, leveraging a deep integration of Apple hardware, software, and services that delivers a massive upgrade to any TV for the very best cinematic experience,” said Bob Borchers, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.
All about services
Apple TV 4K’s tight integration with its services ecosystem makes it a great client for Apple TV, Music and movies and makes for a decent gaming experience too, with Apple Arcade. Fitness+ rounds out the services offer, which is boosted by AirPlay support and the fact that an Apple TV 4K can act as a HomeKit hub to control your smart home.
What, when and where?
- The $179 new Apple TV 4K will be available from April 30 to ship in mid May.
- Apple TV HD with the new Siri Remote will be available for $149.
- The new Siri Remote will be available separately for $59, and is compatible with the previous-generation Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
For the first time, AppleCare+ will be available for Apple TV, providing three years of technical support and additional hardware coverage, including up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months
If you purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac you get one year of Apple TV+ for free and three months of Apple Arcade for free.