How to change your AirPods Pro controls to suit you
AirPods Pro are controlled in a slightly different way to the original AirPods. While the latter are controlled through taps, the Pro versions require that you squeeze the stem of the buds (the “force sensor”) to make things happen. You can change what those commands do.
The squeeze gesture
The squeeze gesture cab be used to cycle between Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), Transparency mode, to speak with Siri and to turn noise cancellation off.
How to change behaviour
Once you’ve paired your AirPods Pro with your iPhone you can change the way they respond to squeeze gestures as follows:
- Open Settings on the iPhone and choose Bluetooth
- Find the AirPods Pro and tap the small ‘I’ icon
- Choose the Left or Right AirPods Pro to select the one whose behaviour you wish to change.
- Choose Noise Control or Siri at the top of the screen. If you choose Siri then squeezing that earbud will invoke Siri.
- If you don’t choose Siri you’ll be able to define how your AirPods Pro respond to the squeeze gesture by selecting (ticking) any of the three available Noise Controls.
- Press and hold the stem to cycle between the selected modes.
- Quit the Settings app when the process is complete.
You can choose which AirPods Pro works as a microphone
You can also set which earbud works as a microphone in Settings. Find your AirPods Pro and choose ‘Microphone’. You will then be able to set which earbud works as a microphone, or choose Automatically Switch AirPods if this works for you.
You can choose how long and fast you need to squeeze
You can customize how quickly your AirPods Pro respond to being squeeze. There are three options: Default, Short or Shorter and you choose these in Settings>Accessibility>AirPods. You can also choose how quickly AirPods Pro recognize multiple presses here, this time opting for Default, Slow or Slowest.