Apple Music now on Google Assistant (powered) smart speakers
Yet another glass of cold water in the desert as Apple Music comes to smart speakers powered by Google Assistant, as it means music fans get a little privacy when they play.
Apple Music comes to Google Assistant
- Google says Apple Music is now available on smart speakers and displays that use Google Assistant, including Nest products.
- Those using such speakers will be able to set Apple Music as the default streaming music service.
- The move means Google now matches Amazon, which has supported the Apple Music service since 2018.
- Google still doesn’t support Amazon Music, BTW.
- Support is being rolled out in the U.S., UK, France, Germany and Japan.
- You can now play Apple Music using cheaper smart speakers.
What’s important about this move is that it means Apple’s music streaming service is now available via the majority of smart speaker systems sold worldwide, including its own HomePod range, and systems from Next, Amazon, Sonos and many other manufacturers.
A recent Strategy Analytics report claimed global sales of smart speakers in Q2 2020 rose to 30 million units, an increase of 6% compared to Q1. Amazon retained first place with a share of 21.6%, followed by Google (17.1%) — the inference of which is that Apple can now promote Apple Music (and TV+) to millions of users not yet invested in the Apple ecosystem.
What Google said
In a release attributed to Google product managers, Sushmit Goswami and Chris Chan, the company said:
“Get ready to jam: You can now ask Google Assistant on Google Nest and other Assistant-enabled smart speakers and displays to play all the music you love on Apple Music.
“… Apple Music is rolling out to Google Assistant-enabled devices like Nest Audio, Nest Hub Max, Nest Mini, and more. Apple Music subscribers can search and play songs (more than 70 million!), albums and playlists—all ad-free—just by using their voice.”
How to enable Apple Music on a Google device
To play music from Apple Music:
- First link your Apple Music account in the Google Home app.
- Then select Apple Music as your default music streaming service.
- You can then use Google Assistant to summon Apple Music tracks.