Mac tip: How to make Hot Corners great again
“Hot Corners are…”
[Accidentally moves cursor to corner enters Mission Control.]
Sorry, let me start again
[Clumsy cursor movement puts display to sleep.]
My terrible talent for accidentally invoking Hot Corner controls is precisely why I stopped using them.
I know I’m not alone in this.
Every Mac user can invoke their Hot Corner control by accidentally hitting the corner. To protect against this kind of distraction some Mac users actively avoid the corners of their display, cramping their available workspace as they do.
It doesn’t need to be this way. Here is how to make Hot Corners great again:
- Launch System Preferences and choose Mission Control
- Tap the Hot Corners button
- Click the first Hot Corner you want to change and review the options.
- Now press a modifier key – any will do, Command, Option, Control or even Shift.
- You should see the icon for the modifier key appear beside the Hot Corner options. Select the appropriate action for that corner.
- Repeat this process for each corner you want to use or adjust
From now on you can skate your cursor anywhere you want on your display without invoking the Hot Corner action. When you want to invoke that action all you got to do is hold down the conditional key you selected while dancing your cursor generously into the relevant corner with complete sensual abandon (maybe not, but you get the idea). Accidental hot cornerizing has become a thing of the past and the entire Mac desktop has become your own!