How to Subscribe to RSS Feeds in Safari
Many Websites offer up their content in an RSS feed (Really Simply Syndication). These feeds send headline summaries of new content directly to your RSS reader, including Safari’s built in reader. The reader is available within the browser’s Shared Links pane and is denoted by the eponymous @ symbol in the Safari sidebar.
How to use it
When you are on a website you want to subscribe to you need to find the RSS icon. The appearance of these varies between sites – we use this icon in our Follow menu.
- Tap the icon and you’ll be asked if you want to add the Website to your Shared Links sidebar. You should tap Add.
- You’ll want to see the feed, so tap the sidebar icon, which looks like this:
- Tap the @ symbol you see at the top right of the sidebar to get to your Shared Links.
- In future you’ll find new content appear in the section soon after it is published on the site you are watching.
- Use this link to test this out
How to lose it
You may need to enable or disable sites, or some of your social networks, which you can also subscribe to in the sidebar. To do so just tap the Subscriptions button at the bottom of the sidebar.
- You will be taken to a new window that shows all the social media accounts you subscribe to using Safari. It also shows all your currently active feeds. To disable a feed just tap the X beside its name.
- You can also manually add feeds in the Subscription window – tap ‘Add Feed’ and write the address of your chosen site’s RSS feed manually.
In future every new post from the sites you subscribe to will be visible in your sidebar. You will be directed to the relevant site when you tap the title and summary of a post you happen to be interested in.
Also on iOS
You can also subscribe to RSS feeds using Safari on your iOS device.
- When you get to a site you wish to subscribe too, just tap the Bookmarks icon at the bottom of the screen
- You will find yourself in the Bookmarks menu. At the top of the menu you’ll see the book icon (bookmarks), spectacles icon (Reading List) and @ icon. Tap the @ icon to get to your Shared Links.
- Look to the bottom of the display and tap the blue word, ‘Subscriptions’
- On the next page you’ll see a list of all your currently subscribed accounts and feeds. You can enable and disable them here.
- At the bottom right of your display you’ll see ‘Add Current Site’ written in blue.
- Tap this to add the website you are on to your RSS reader within Safari on iOS.
In future you’ll be able to quickly review headlines from all your favorite sites using this tool.