How to fix Siri’s ‘Barbra Streisand’ problem
How to make Siri pronounce names correctly.
Streisand’s pissed with Siri. So much so that a report claims singer Barbra Streisand called Apple CEO Tim Cook up to complain. What’s her problem? That Siri calls her StreiZAND, rather than StreiSAND (a Z sound, rather than an S).
Cook has promised to fix this in a future update, but it really shouldn’t bother her too much – because it’s easy to train Siri to say her name correctly, so long as she creates a contacts entry with her name.
Here is what Streisand could do:
- Launch Siri and ask it to bring up the Contact entry for the person it is not pronouncing correctly.
- Now you say: “That’s not how you pronounce [person’s name].”
- Siri will ask you to pronounce the first name
- Pronounce it and you’ll be presented with two audio versions of the name.
- Choose the correct version.
- You’ll be asked to follow the same steps for the contact’s last name
- When you have set both first and second names Siri will repeat the name, hopefully correctly.
Another way to get the process started is to tell Siri, “Learn to pronounce [name, eg. Barbra Streisand] correctly.” So long as you have a contact record in that name, Siri will let you train it into better pronunciation.
And this is how Barbra Streisand could solve her own problem.
More Siri tips.