Here is the Apple Watch Series 5
- Always-On Retina Display,
- Built-In Compass
- International Emergency Calling
- GPS version available to order in 41 countries now
- Cellular version available to order in 22 countries now
- Ships September 20
- From $399 (GPS only), $499 (Cellular)
- Series 3 still available from $199 (£199 in US). Cellular S3 is $299.
- More features to ship with watchOS 6.
- watchOS 6 for Watch Series 3 and later on September 19
- watchOS 6 for Series 1 and 2 later this fall.
The Apple Watch Series 5 finally delivers the much desired Always-On Retina display but doesn’t impose a tax on battery life.
The device also ushers in new location features, from a built-in compass to current elevation and international emergency calling, which allows customers to call emergency services directly from a cellular Apple Watch inover 150 countries, even without iPhone nearby.
As expected, new materials are used in the new smartwatch. These include aluminium, stainless steel, ceramic and a new titanium model.
What Apple is saying
“We’ve seen Apple Watch have a meaningful impact on our customers’ lives and we’re excited to deliver even more capabilities with Apple Watch Series 5 and watchOS 6,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer.
“The seamless integration of new hardware and software delivers an enhanced experience that makes it even easier to stay active and connected to the people and information users care about.”
Always-On Retina Display
Apple Watch Series 5 features an innovative new display that allows the time and important information to remain visible at all times but still offers an all-day 18-hour battery life.
A new built-in compass and updated Maps app allow users to see which way they are facing. It shows you heading, incline, latitude, longitude and current elevation. Users can even add one of three new Compass complications to their watch face to see direction at a glance.
International Emergency Calling
If you use a cellular model of Apple Watch Series 5 you can now make international calls to emergency services, regardless of where the device was originally purchased or if the cellular plan has been activated.
This also works with fall detection.
A new titanium watch
Apple is introducing a new case material made of titanium. Available in two beautiful brushed finishes, the natural titanium has a custom-engineered surface which helps maintain its colour and resist staining, while the space black titanium achieves its deep colour from a diamond-like coating (DLC).
Classic styles like the stainless steel case in gold, silver and space black remain, while the aluminium case in silver, gold and space grey is now made for the first time from 100 percent recycled 7000 series aluminium.
This fall, the scratch-resistant and beautiful white ceramic case is also available, along with a new sport loop and a wide range of great new band colours, which work with any generation of Apple Watch.
Pricing and Availability (it’s complicated)
So many SKUs, so little time…
- Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS) starts at £399 and Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular) starts at £499. The popular Series 3 (GPS), with built-in GPS, optical heart rate sensor and water resistance, starts at a new low price of £199 and Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) is £299.
- Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS) is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 20 in the US, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and 38 other countries and regions.
- Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular) is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 20 in the US, Puerto Rico and 20 other countries and regions. For carrier availability, visit apple.com/uk/watch/cellular.
- Apple Watch Nike is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, October 4 in the US, Puerto Rico and more than 51 other countries and regions. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/apple-watch-nike or nike.com/applewatch.
- Apple Watch Hermès is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 20 in the US and more than 14 other countries and regions. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/apple-watch-hermes or hermes.com/applewatchhermes.
Customers in the UK can trade in their eligible device for an Apple Store Gift Card, or a refund on their purchase. If their device isn’t eligible for credit, Apple will recycle it for free.
Customers can get up to two years of technical support and accidental damage coverage with AppleCare+.
Customers who buy Apple Watch from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup, in-store or online, to help set up and personalise their new Apple Watch with calendars, notifications, apps and more.