18 reasons Apple’s digital health tools matter so much
Self-knowledge is the best possible means of protection for anyone who is dealing with any form of addition. Here is what BankMyCell’s data shows:a
- The average smartphone user checks their device 47 times a day / 17,155 a year.
- Conversation killer! 85% of smartphone users will check their device while speaking with friends and family.
- 80% of smartphone users check their phone within 1 hour of waking or going to sleep, 35% of which will do within 5 minutes.
- 47% of smartphone users have attempted to limit their usage in the past – only 30% of which feel they were successful.
- The average time spend on smartphones is 171 minutes a day (2hrs 51mins)
- The average time spend on smartphones AND tablets is 261 minutes a day (4hrs 33mins)
- The average user spends 76 minutes a day (1hr 16mins) on the top 5 social media apps – YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter
- The average user will tap, swipe, click their phone 2,617 times a day
- Out of 18-29 year old smartphone owners surveyed, 22%check their phone every few minutes, 51% check a few times an hour
- 67% of surveyed teachers observed students being negatively distracted by mobile devices.
- 90% of surveyed teachers stated the number of students with emotional challenges increased.
- Teenagers who spend 5 hours a day on electronic devices are 71% more likely to have suicide risk factors than those with 1 hours use.
- Teens that spend 5 hours a day on electronic devices are 51% more likely to get under 7 hours sleep when compared to 1 hours use. (long term issues linking to high blood pressure and weight gain)
- 8th graders who are heavy users of social media have a 27% higher risk of depression
- 89% of parents blame themselves and caregivers for the responsibility of a child’s phone use
- 5% blame children themselves, 3% blame the device and app manufacturers
- 47% of parents think their child is addicted to their smartphone
- 50% of parents are concerned for the impact on their mental health