Apple’s AirTags are ‘coming soon’ leaker leaks
Apple may or may not be on the verge of introducing those much-discussed but never confirmed AirTag tracking devices, depending on who you believe.
Big one, small one, coming soon
The latest leak (“Big one, small one, coming soon”) comes across more like a haiku, cryptic crossword puzzle or a line from some sexploitation movie than a vehicle for actual information, but people who say they know seem to think it means AirTags are coming soon – and in two sizes, too.
This follows recent claims from the more expressive Jon Prosser, who told us not to expect these things until March.
— 有没有搞措 (@L0vetodream) October 20, 2020
One of these claims will turn out to be more true than the other, but we should get a sense of which at Apple’s November Mac event.
What are AirTags?
Here’s what we know so far:
- Apple has been developing AirTags since 2018.
- They are best seen as the equivalent of Tile tracking devices.
- They make use of the Find My feature Apple provides.
- It’s thought these devices make use of Bluetooth and UWB for location.
- Location is determined by a mesh comprised of all Apple devices, but information is kept private and secure by virtue of a user’s Apple ID.
- Some say the battery is rechargeable, like Apple Watch.
- But others say batteries can be replaced.
- Though both could be correct.
- These things are thought to be round, like an Apple Watch charger.
- It will be interesting to see how effectively they work from inside vehicles, as that will be a very popular deployment.
- Apple is opening its Find My Network technology up to third party makers with a range of APIs and specificationswhich are available here.
There are still lots of things we don’t know, including if any of the above claims are correct.